Tennis - Italian Fabio Fognini was beginning to make a name for himself for winning after going on a 13 match clay court winning streak in Europe after Wimbledon.
But the Italian was back to his troublesome ways on Monday when he was beaten by Czech veteran Radek Stepanek in the first round of the ATP Western & Southern Open in Cincinnari.
Fognin lost in straight sets to the Czech but his final game was something not seen before on the court, as he intentionally double faulted to lose the match.
Serving to stay in the match, Fognini double faulted twice, got a point penalty for ball abuse, foot faulted on match point, then purposely foot faulted again to lose the match.
The fans booed him off the court after his loss.
TENNIS WORLD MAGAZINE - Issue 17 - FREE READING
In this issue you can find:
- Roger is training as if he is a happy child (here)
- An Interview With Garbine Muguruza Blanco (here)
- The greatest game ever played (here)
- The rise of Taylor Townsend (here)
- Sports Parents – Can It Work? (here)