Top-ranked Bulgarian tennis player Grigor Dimitrov sprinkled accolades upon his girlfriend Maria Sharapova, calling the Russian beauty as reason behind his success this year.
"This year has been highly successful," said Dimitrov, who won his first ATP title in Stockholm this October. "I managed to find the right direction."
"Rivals now feel they have to follow me closely and look up to me," he continued. "I think I proved wrong all those people who said my relationship with her will damage my play. I think I proved that it is exactly the opposite," Dimitrov said of Sharapova.
As a result for a consistent performance this season, Dimitrov jumped from 48th spot to 22nd spot in the Emirates ATP rankings.
TENNIS WORLD MAGAZINE - Issue 17 - FREE READING
In this issue you can find:
- Roger is training as if he is a happy child (here)
- An Interview With Garbine Muguruza Blanco (here)
- The greatest game ever played (here)
- The rise of Taylor Townsend (here)
- Sports Parents – Can It Work? (here)