Fans of former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro can breathe easy. The world no. 8 took to his Facebook page to tell his fans that he will play in New York next week at the US Open after doctors examined his left wrist and gave him the go ahead to play.
Del Potro said "Thanks a lot to Dr Richard Berger for seeing me on a Sunday. He did some tests and from the start discarded injury to ligaments and tendons. He prescribed me a treatment and rest for a few days. He believes I can play in NY. I'll see him again afterwards. Thanks to all for your messages and affection of always."
Potro has said he has been playing with pain in his left wrist for a while now. He lost in the semi finals of the Cincinnati masters series event last week to world no. 2 Novak Djokovic.
The Argentine has surgery on his right wrist soon after winning the US Open in 2009 which took him out of action for 9 months and saw his ranking drop to the 400s. He has since climbed to no. 8 in the rankings but is still looking for a big run at the slams since his comeback.
Potro also won the bronze medal at the London Olympic games which he called the best moment of his career yet.