Former world number 1 Venus Williams will reportedly give a miss to the rest of the season, and will not defend her WTA title in Luxembourg next week.
According to Tennis.com, Venus was deeming to play in Luxembourg, but later on chose to shut it down instead.
The 33-year-old American has been combating with back injury and autoimmune disease Sjögren’s syndrome, the report added.
Currently ranked number 38 in the world rankings, Venus lately played in Tokyo last week, where she was shown the door in the first round itself.
Apparently the 7-time Grand Slam Champion will directly compete at the Australian Open 2014, scheduled to be held in January.
TENNIS WORLD MAGAZINE - Issue 17 - FREE READING
In this issue you can find:
- Roger is training as if he is a happy child (here)
- An Interview With Garbine Muguruza Blanco (here)
- The greatest game ever played (here)
- The rise of Taylor Townsend (here)
- Sports Parents – Can It Work? (here)