NAIA / W: Georgia Gwinnett beat Emory 6-3, keeping the perfect score this spring
Tennis - This was a very interesting clash between th leading NAIA and Division III teams
GGC Tennis Facility hosted a very entertaining women's match between the leading teams in two Divisions. Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies, a top-ranked NAIA school, showed its class once again, beating Emory Eagles, leaders of Division III, by 6-3 to maintain the perfect 5-0 score this spring. This was the 2nd consecutive win for the Grizzlies over the Eagles, after losing the opening 4 encounters. Margarida Abreu/Emerald Able gave the home team a perfect start, blasting past Melissa Goodman/Michelle DeMeo 8-0 on court 3 to put the Grizzlies on the scoreboard. Bridget Harding/Katarina Su had the answer ready on the main court, defeating Chiara Di Salvo/Alyona Vasilyeva 8-5 to level the score at 1-1 while the final doubles point went to Grizzlies when Valeria Podda/Klara Dohnalova ousted Michelle Satterfield/Daniela Lopez 8-3 on court 2.
Georgia Gwinnett captured the control on singles courts, taking the opening set on 5 courts and starting to bring the victories home. Margarida Abreu opened the gap to 3-1 on court 6, scoring a 6-2 6-4 triumph over Michelle DeMeo, and short after the Grizzlies were 4-1 in front when Valeria Podda beat Bridget Harding 6-2 6-4 on the main court. Alyona Vasilyeva sealed the deal on court 5 in another good performance for the home school, ousting Melissa Goodman 6-2 6-3 for an unreachable 5-1 lead. Daniela Lopez finally gave the Eagles something to cheer about, she bested Chiara Di Salvo 6-4 6-3 on court 3 to cut the deficit to 5-2, followed by her teammate Michelle Satterfield who prevailed against Klara Dohnalova 2-6 6-3 10-6 to notch the 3rd point for Emory. In another thrilling match, Emerald Able put the curtain on this tie, edging Katarina Su by 6-1 4-6 10-2 on court 4.
Georgia Gwinnett Grizzlies vs Emory Eagles 6-3
Doubles (Order of match finish - 3, 1, 2)
1. Bridget Harding/Katarina Su (EUW) vs Chiara Di Salvo/Alyona Vasilyeva (GGC) 8-5
2. Valeria Podda/Klara Dohnalova (GGC) vs Michelle Satterfield/Daniela Lopez (EUW) 8-3
3. Margarida Abreu/Emerald Able (GGC) vs Melissa Goodman/Michelle DeMeo (EUW) 8-0
Singles (Order of match finish - 6, 1, 5, 3, 2, 4)
1. Valeria Podda (GGC) vs Bridget Harding (EUW) 6-2 6-4
2. Michelle Satterfield (EUW) vs Klara Dohnalova (GGC) 2-6 6-3 10-6
3. Daniela Lopez (EUW) vs Chiara Di Salvo (GGC) 6-4 6-3
4. Emerald Able (GGC) vs Katarina Su (EUW) 6-1 4-6 10-2
5. Alyona Vasilyeva (GGC) vs Melissa Goodman (EUW) 6-2 6-3
6. Margarida Abreu (GGC) vs Michelle DeMeo (EUW) 6-2 6-4