Div I / M: Virginia tops Notre Dame 6-1 to remain undefeated this spring
Tennis - The Cavaliers will face North Carolina State next Friday, in their third ACC match of 2017
After a slow and shaky start of the season, Virginia Cavaliers found the right form to remind everybody who has been the dominant Collegiate men's tennis team in the recent years. Hitting the road yesterday, the Cavaliers faced Notre Dame Irish at Eck Tennis Center, and they scored a 6-1 triumph, improving to 15-0 this spring, 2-0 in ACC. Collin Altamirano/J.C. Aragone opened the action with a 6-1 victory over Grayson Broadus/Brendon Kempin on court 3, followed by Luca Corinteli/Henrik Wiersholm who delivered the first point for Virginia after beating Eddy Covalschi/Josh Hagar 6-3 on the main court. Alexander Ritschard/Thai-Son Kwiatkowski were engaged in a close battle with Matt Gamble/Alex Lebedev, and the match was abandoned at 4-4, as the players got ready for the singles duties.
There, the Cavaliers wastaed no time to impose their game, taking the opening set in 5 out of 6 matches and bringing the overall victory home in under 2 and a half hours. Just like in doubles, J.C. Aragone was the fastest player to wrap up his encounter, defeating Grayson Broadus 6-2 6-1 on court 4, moving Virginia 2-0 in front. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski was also rock solid on the main court, toppling Josh Hagar 6-0 6-3, just before Alexander Ritschard delivered the 4th point for the guests, ousting Alex Lebedev 6-1 6-3 on court 3. The winner was known but the action continued, and Guillermo Cabrera brought the only point for the Irish after he bested Luca Corinteli 6-4 6-4 on court 6, cutting the deficit to 4-1. The remaining two matches went into a decider but the Cavaliers grabbed them both for the final 6-1 result. Collin Altamirano was too strong for Eddy Covalschi in sets 1 and 3, claiming a 6-1 4-6 6-2 triumph on court 2 and it was Henrik Wiersholm who put the curtain on this tie, overcoming a poor second set to beat Matt Gamble 6-3 2-6 6-4 on court 5.
Virginia Cavaliers vs Notre Dame Irish 6-1
Doubles (Order of match finish - 3, 1)
1. Luca Corinteli/Henrik Wiersholm (VA) vs Eddy Covalschi/Josh Hagar (ND) 6-3
2. Matt Gamble/Alex Lebedev (ND) vs Alexander Ritschard/Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) 4-4 Unfinished
3. Collin Altamirano/J.C. Aragone (VA) vs Grayson Broadus/Brendon Kempin (ND) 6-1
Singles (Order of match finish - 4, 1, 3, 6, 2, 5)
1. Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) vs Josh Hagar (ND) 6-0 6-3
2. Collin Altamirano (VA) vs Eddy Covalschi (ND) 6-1 4-6 6-2
3. Alexander Ritschard (VA) vs Alex Lebedev (ND) 6-1 6-3
4. J.C. Aragone (VA) vs Grayson Broadus (ND) 6-2 6-1
5. Henrik Wiersholm (VA) vs Matt Gamble (ND) 6-3 2-6 6-4
6. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) vs Luca Corinteli (VA) 6-4 6-4