Stats from Australian Open 2016- View: 46987 by Farid Khan
Following are some stats from the recently concluded Australian Open 2016 - Sara Errani has lost in the first round in three of her last four Australian Opens. - Sloane Stephens has lost eight straight sets at hard-court Majors.
- Caroline Wozniacki has lost in the first or second round at four of the last five Majors. - Rafael Nadal has lost after leading two sets to one at consecutive Majors (he had not lost in that position since 2005). - The last three players to defeat Nadal at majors have an average ranking of 60.
- Simona Halep has fallen to 6th-7th place since the US Open, all on hard courts (36-5 on hard courts from January 2015 through US Open). - Thirteen of 32 women"s seeds fell in the first round. (Only five men"s seeds lost.) - There were more unseeded than seeded women in the third round at the Australian Open.
- Yaroslava Shvedova has lost seven matches after winning the first set in the last eight months. - Maria Sharapova has reached the second week in 21 of last 23 AO/RG appearances (both first-week losses in 2010). - It was the first time in five Majors that Serena reached the second week without losing a set.
- It"s been over five years since Novak Djokovic has lost a set in the first week of a hard-court major (Dodig, 2011 Australian Open R2). - Ekaterina Makarova has reached the second week at her last five Majors and last five Australian Opens.
- This was the first time in the Open Era that two of the top three women fell in the first week of the Australian Open. - Novak Djokovic has not lost when leading two sets to one at a major since Roland Garros 2010 (Melzer; 32-0 since).
- Milos Raonic never has lost after winning the first two sets at a major (36-0). - Milos Raonic defeated a top-eight opponent at a major for the first time (previously 0-6, lost 18 straight sets). - Stanislas Wawrinka had not lost before the quarter-finals at a major since Roland Garros 2014.
- John Isner has one career comeback for losing the first two sets at a Major (Ryan Harrison, Roland Garros 2013). - This was the 12th straight Australian Open to feature a women"s semi-finalist from Eastern Europe. - Serena Williams had won 10 of 11 tournaments where she has faced Maria Sharapova before the final (Doha 2013, l.
to Azarenka). - Maria Sharapova had gotten to 4-4 in a first set with Serena Williams just twice on a hard court since 2005 (both times in Miami). - Serena Williams current 18-match winning streak against Sharapova is the longest between any two active players (Federer 16 straight vs.
Ferrer). - Novak Djokovic had served five bagels and breadsticks in his last three meetings with Kei Nishikori (eight sets). - The last four majors have featured five first-time women"s finalists (Safarova, Muguruza, Vinci, Pennetta, Kerber).
- Serena Williams had won the Australian Open every time that she has reached the semi-finals (12-0 in semis and finals). - This was the first time since 1988 that all of the Australian Open women"s quarter-finals and semi-finals ended in straight sets.
- Serena Williams was 5-1 against first-time major finalists (Wimbledon 2004). - Novak Djokovic is 15-1 against Federer when winning the first set. - The first opening-set bagel or breadstick by Novak Djokovic was served in this rivalry (Federer has recorded three).
- No American woman had lost to an European woman in the Australian Open final since 1992 (won last eight such matches). - Only once since 1995 had both Australian Open champions defended their titles (Djokovic/Azarenka, 2013).
- Angelique Kerber is the first lefty to reach the Australian Open women"s final in 20 years. - Only two of Serena"s 21 major titles (none in last decade) came after losing first set. - Only one woman in the last decade has lost the Australian Open final after winning the first (Li Na, twice).
- Four of Angelique Kerber"s 11 career runner-up finishes came after winning the first set. - Novak Djokovic is 17-0 against Andy Murray when he wins the first set. Also Read: Stats from ATP & WTA Week 1 .