WTA Brussels - Wozniacki, Zvonareva into quarters- View: 1264 by Prakash
World no. 1 Caroline Wozniacki was given a tough fight by American Varvara Lepchenko before the Dane woon 6-4, 7-6 to reach the quarter-finals of the WTA Brussels Open. Also advancing were world no. 3 Vera Zvonareva, a three set winner over Kazakh Galina Voskoboeva, and reigning French Open champion Francesca Schiavone, who ended the run of lukcy loser Irina Falconi of America 6-4, 6-4.
Another American Abigail Spears was also beaten on Wednesday by 8th seed Shuai Peng. Former world no. 1 Jelena Jankovic, seeded 4th here, was upset by Swede Sofia Arvdisson and 17 year old qualifier Alison Van Uytvanck's run was stopped by compatriot Yanina Wickmayer BRUSSELS OPEN
Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - Singles - Second Round
(1) Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) d.
Varvara Lepchenko (USA) 64 76(5)
(2) Vera Zvonareva (RUS) d. (Q) Galina Voskoboeva (KAZ) 26 64 63
(3) Francesca Schiavone (ITA) d. (LL) Irina Falconi (USA) 64 64
Sofia Arvidsson (SWE) d.
(4) Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 36 63 63
(6) Yanina Wickmayer (BEL) d. (Q) Alison Van Uytvanck (BEL) 76(2) 64
(7) Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) d. Klara Zakopalova (CZE) 63 62
(8) Peng Shuai (CHN) d.
(Q) Abigail Spears (USA) 62 60
Ayumi Morita (JPN) d. Casey Dellacqua (AUS) 16 60 75