The 'white smoke' may be for some, not all, after the announcement of the agreement reached on Tuesday by the traditional professional circuits, read PGA Tour and DP World Tour (former European Tour), and the Arab Super League (LIV Golf).
And it is that some players of the PGA Tour confronted the commissioner Jay Monahan and asked for his resignation during a meeting held this Tuesday afternoon North American time on the occasion of the Canadian Open that takes place in Toronto.
PGA Tour, statements
Johnson Wagner, a one-time PGA Tour winner, told the Golf Channel there was a lot of anger in the room after Monahan reached a merger deal with LIV Golf and the Saudi Public Investment Fund without first consulting the terms.
the same with the players. "It was controversial and contentious," Wagner said. "There were many moments where certain players were calling for a new PGA Tour leadership and even got a couple of standing ovations. I think the most impactful moment was when a player quoted Commissioner Monahan at the 3M Open in Minnesota last year when he said : 'While I am commissioner of the PGA Tour, no player who has accepted money from LIV will ever play on the PGA Tour again.'
" I think it's going backwards." Veteran Australian Open US Open champion Geoff Ogilvy told reporters the meeting was not informative and he felt the circuit rushed the announcement sooner than he wanted. "Monahan just explained the structure, how it's going to be in the future.
He didn't really talk about the specifics. It was a tough meeting for both parties, I think Jay and all the players, because no one really knows how this is going to end. finally". Monahan, 53, is the fourth commissioner in PGA Tour history and has held the position since January 2017.
Resign or not, he won't hold the position for much longer. With the Saudi Public Investment Fund making an equity investment in the new entity formed by the merger of the PGA Tour, DP World Tour and LIV Golf, PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan will be its Chairman and Monahan will be CEO.
"The players were angry, calling for his resignation, and Jay sat there and took it like a champ, really. He didn't specifically answer a lot of questions about what the path for LIV players in the 2024 season would look like. his discretion... and many players didn't like that," Wagner said.
Australian Open announces major change without addressing the main issue
Carlos Alcaraz reportedly makes interesting plan for 2024 Australian Open
Elena Rybakina reveals problem that hampered her at US Open and recent weeks
Australian Open boss issues statement on Rafael Nadal, Ashleigh Barty wins in 2022
Coco Gauff opens up on feeling bored during seven-day break from tennis after US Open
Australian Open boss recounts getting 'death threats' over Novak Djokovic visa saga