Hong Kong, Ben Campbell surprises everyone

Campbell, 32 years old, from New Zealand, shot 66 in the last round, which earned him a one-shot victory over the winner of the 2022 British Open

by Andrea Gussoni
SHARE
Hong Kong, Ben Campbell surprises everyone
© Harry How / Getty Images Sport

Indeed, you have to play extremely well in professional golf to win a tournament. If last week, in Los Cabos, Erik Van Rooyen had to star in a birdie-birdie-eagle sequence to take the victory on the PGA Tour, Ben Campbell, another golfer from the southern hemisphere, had to resort to two final successes in the two last holes to spoil the party for Cameron Smith, the undisputed star of the Hong Kong Open.

Campbell, 32 years old, from New Zealand, shot 66 in the last round, which earned him a one-shot victory over the winner of the 2022 British Open, who got his sights jammed in the last seven holes of the tournament, which he finished with as many pars.

. The victory of a player who has been overcoming continuous neuromotor injuries - he had surgery on his hip because it was pressing on a nerve, on his chest, an ablation was performed on his sciatica... - was helped by the poor outcome of Thai Phachara Khongwatmai.

The Asian who still holds the world record for precocity in a victory in a professional tournament - at the age of 14, in 2013, he won a tournament on his country's circuit - led the last three holes alone, but a double bogey and A bogey on holes 16 and 18 relegated him to third place.

Among the Spanish, David Puig and his final 68 earned him fifteenth place. Two rounds in those figures and another two in 66 endorse the season of the Catalan golfer, who in the absence of next week's tournament in Indonesia is eighth in the Order of Merit.

Eugenio López Chacarra, who began the tournament as the leader, finished sixty-ninth after signing 75 strokes with a quadruple bogey on the final hole. Hong Kongis a former British colony and special administrative region of China since 1997.

Located on the southern coast of China between the Pearl River Delta and the South China Sea, the city is famous for its impressive urban profile and deep natural harbor. With an area of 2,754 km2 and a population of over seven million people, Hong Kong is one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

95% of Hong Kong's population is ethnic Chinese, while the remaining 5% belong to other groups.The city's majority Chinese ethnic group, the Han, originates primarily in the cities of Guangzhou and Taishan in neighboring Guangdong province.

SHARE