If you are planning a golfing holiday in the near future, you might want to consider teeing off at one of the most famous golf courses around the world. A well designed course is challenging, has notorious holes and clever twists and turns.
Some of these golf courses combines all of these in a way that is punishing enough to make even professional golfers cry on global television. This explains why some of the toughest courses in the world, are also the most famous.
5 of the most famous golf courses out there
- St Andrews Old Course, Fife, Scotland is the oldest and most acclaimed course in the world and any avid golfer’s dream destination. The par 72 course spans 6 721 yards and by playing here, you will follow in the footsteps of legends.
Swilcan Bridge and Hell Bunker are recognized as seriously tough obstacles by golfers worldwide. Despite its status though, this course remains open to the public so it’s as accessible as it is prestigious.
- The Stadium Course at Sawgrass, Florida (USA) is always a contender in Top 10 lists and is known for its notoriously tricky 17th island green.
Plenty of pro players manage to score a birdie here, but no matter how seemingly achievable it is, golfers are always just one swing away from a double bogey.
- The Royal County Down Golf Club in Newcastle, Northern Ireland has incredible rugged landscapes and unforgiving coastal winds, which makes playing golf there a challenging and beautiful experience.
Nestled at the foothills of the Mourne Mountains and still upholding many of golfing’s old traditions, this is a great place to play.
- Monte Rei Golf Course in the Eastern Algarve is the number one golf course in Portugal.
A golfing holiday here is a hole-in-one for the whole family. The towns of Faro, Olhão, Tavira and Monte Gordo are well worth a visit and the beaches are pristine. The beautiful course features five stunning lakes and there is also a great driving range on site for practice.
- The Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club has received a lot of global attention in recent years and is listed as the 5th best course in the United Arab Emirates, being dubbed a “golfer’s paradise”.
Best known for its well-groomed fairways and manicured greens, the course creates a serious golfing challenge. Even so, it is a good course for golfers at every level. It is just 5 minutes outside Dubai city center and is ideal for a family vacation.