Rising Belgian star Zizou Bergs has received a wild card into Antwerp, the tournament announced on Wednesday. Bergs, 22, is set to make his second main draw appearance on the indoor-hard courts of Antwerp. For three consecutive years, Bergs failed to make it past the qualifying event in Antwerp.
However, Bergs finally made his Antwerp debut last year after receiving a wild card into the event. Last year, Bergs proved that he was worth of receiving an Antwerp wild card as he stunned former world No. 17 Albert Ramos-Vinolas in the first round.
In the round-of-16, Bergs pushed 2018 Paris Masters champion Karen Khachanov into a three-setter before losing.
Bergs joins Andy Murray
Murray, a former world No. 1, also received a wild card into Antwerp. Murray, who has had two major hip surgeries since 2017, made it all the way in Antwerp in 2019.
The event was canceled last year so Murray now returns as the defending champion. Last week, Murray made his maiden ATP quarterfinal in Metz. Murray, now ranked at No. 109 in the world, wants to win matches and return to the top-10.
“I think I played better this week than I did in Cincinnati and in Winston Salem,” said Murray. “I did play a pretty good match at the US Open. But like I said the other day, I’m not that interested in playing well and losing.
“I want to be winning these matches and I’ve certainly created enough opportunities to not necessarily win all of them, but to make it closer than what it has been and give myself a better chance of winning. So, yeah, I’m disappointed with that.
"My goal is not to get back in the top 100. I want to get back into the top 10 – [that] would be more something that would motivate me in terms of the goal”.