American tennis star Taylor Fritz has signed up to play the Tie Breaks Tens event in Dubai, the event announced on Saturday. Frtz, 23, is the third player confirmed for the Tie Break Tens Dubai. Previously, the tournament announced former world No.
6 Gael Monfils and Great Britain's Daniel Evans as participants for this year's event. The Tie Breaks Tens -- which was launced in 2015 -- didn't take place last year due to the coronavirus pandemic but is set to return on October 22.
“This is such a great addition to the Dubai sporting calendar and we’re really excited to see some of the world’s best players come to showcase this exciting game. Tennis fans will enjoy the game as they’ve not seen it before here and I’m confident the sport will attract some new fans as they enjoy this fast-paced evening of sporting fun," Tie Breaks Tens tournament director Jimmy Poon said after the Monfils announcement.
Fritz ousted at the San Diego Open
Fritz played at this week's ATP event in San Diego, where he lost to Denis Shapovalov. “I’m really happy to get the win, obviously. The first set was super, super tough for me and to come back like that was amazing,” Shapovalov said in his on-court interview, per the ATP website.
“Definitely happy to be in San Diego, [it is] my first time. It’s such an amazing city”. Shapovalov saved six set points in the first set en route to claiming a 7-6 (7) 6-2 win over Fritz. “When you have a tough set, it obviously helps a lot to win that set.
Then you try to keep that momentum going. Obviously when you lose a tough one like that, your momentum drops. It’s very important to keep the gas pedal on,” said Shapovalov, who now leads the pair’s ATP Head2Head 4-1. “I definitely started the second set super well and just carried it”.