The ATP remains concerned about Peng Shuai as they hope the WTA will be able to get into a direct contact with the Chinese. Peng went missing in China a month ago after accusing a former vice premier of sexual assault. On Wednesday the WTA announced it was suspending all tournaments scheduled to take place in China next year.
The ATP didn't say anything about the WTA's decision to suspend tournaments in China. Also, the ATP didn't mention that they could follow the same path. "The situation involving Peng Shuai continues to raise serious concerns within and beyond our sport.
The response to those concerns has so far fallen short. We again urge for a line of open direct communication between the player and the WTA in order to establish a clearer picture of her situation," ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi said in a statement released on Thursday.
We know that sport can have a positive influence on society and generally believe that having a global presence gives us the best chance of creating opportunity and making an impact. We will continue to consult with our members and monitor any developments as this issue evolves."
The WTA made a major move
The WTA threatened to suspend all tournaments in China if they don't get a verifiable proof that Peng was safe and well.
"As a result, and with the full support of the WTA Board of Directors, I am announcing the immediate suspension of all WTA tournaments in China, including Hong Kong. In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault.
Given the current state of affairs, I am also greatly concerned about the risks that all of our players and staff could face if we were to hold events in China in 2022," WTA CEO Steve Simon said in a statement.