FFT rejects Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's appeal to receive Australian Open wild card



by   |  VIEW 12487

FFT rejects Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's appeal to receive Australian Open wild card

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's appeal to receive a wild card for the Australian Open has been rejected as the FFT decided to hand their reciprocal Australian Open wild card to Lucas Pouille. Tsonga, ranked at No. 260 in the world, said last month he would like to be given a wild card for the Australian Open.

On Wednesday, world No. 155 Pouille confirmed to RMC Sport that the wild card went his way. Tsonga, 36, presumably badly wanted an Australian Open wild card because there is no guarantee he will play beyond 2022. "I just want to play.

Several times I wondered if I should continue, if my motivation still existed and I must say that it is intact. In the end, what drives me is passion," Tsonga recently told Tour le Sport.

Tsonga knows when he will retire

"I'm not afraid.

I know when I'm going to stop but I want to keep it to myself," Tsonga said. Tsonga has been severely hampered by injuries in recent years but still he is not ready to walk away from the game. "At the beginning, for me playing tennis was also the possibility to live,” Tsonga told The Guardian in May.

“To be able to pay for a house, an apartment. To eat and do things, other activities “Now it’s completely different because I play for 15 years now on the tour and now I’m playing because I always want to do better.

I always want to prove to myself that I’m able to do things on the court." Tsonga played only two matches in 2020 and his 2021 season was kicked off in late February. "It was really difficult,” Tsonga admitted.

“I didn’t do sports for eight months and, of course, I lost all my physical capacity so [it was a success] to come back and to show a little step forward in my condition. To feel a little better. Because at the beginning I was not even able to play for 20 minutes. I had to go through all this rehab, things that nobody likes."