Billie Jean King calls on ATP to take bigger stand against China in Peng Shuai case



by   |  VIEW 4356

Billie Jean King calls on ATP to take bigger stand against China in Peng Shuai case

Former world No. 1 Billie Jean King has called on the ATP to take a bigger stand in the Peng Shuai case. Peng went missing in China over a month ago and since then the tennis world has been calling for answers. Last week, the WTA took a major stand against China as they suspended all tournaments scheduled to take place in China and Hong Kong next year.

The WTA failed to get a verifiable proof that Peng was safe so they decided to take action. "That would be nice, I think we would like more support from the men,” King said at the Sports Illustrated awards when asked if she would like to see more from the men’s Tour, per Tennishead.

“I’ve always wanted men and women to be together in one association. That’s really my dream for us, it always has been. “We should all work together to help our sport, also off the court, in a more powerful way, more meaningful way."

The ATP released a statement in the Peng case

The day after the WTA announced suspension of tournaments in China, the ATP released a statement but there was no mentioning of suspending ATP tournaments in China. The situation involving Peng Shuai continues to raise serious concerns within and beyond our sport.

The response to those concerns has so far fallen short. We again urge for a line of open direct communication between the player and the WTA in order to establish a clearer picture of her situation," ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi said in a statement released on Thursday.

"We know that sport can have a positive influence on society and generally believe that having a global presence gives us the best chance of creating opportunity and making an impact. "We will continue to consult with our members and monitor any developments as this issue evolves."