Rising American star Jenson Brooksby tested positive for COVID-19 and he is out of the Australian Open. Brooksby 21, had been expected to make his Australian Open debut this year. Unfortunately, Brooksby's Australian Open debut has been delayed after he and his coach tested positive for COVID-19.
On Monday, Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios also revealed a positive COVID-19 test. "Hi everyone. Hope you are keeping well. Unfortunately I have had to withdraw from the Australian Open. I was scheduled to fly out tommorow but my coach and I tested positive for COVID-19 this morning," Brooksby announced.
"It is not easy to miss a Slam; there are many out there who have suffered worse so I can't complain! "I look forward to making my Aussie Open debut next year! Stay safe."
Tommy Haas spoke highly of Brooksby
In a recent interview, former world No.
2 Haas spoke extremely highly of Brooksby and his work ethic. "Yeah, Brooksby in his on-court interview after this first round, he said ‘I’m so happy I won. I’m so happy I have the opportunity to be in the next round but I’m not really satisfied with the way I played today, so I’m actually going to go to the practice courts right after this and work on my game a little more.’ You see how focused he is out there," Haas told Boardroom.
"You see also that he’s not the most talented player in the world, but he does everything that he can to try to be the best player that he can be and constantly improve. You can kind of sense that. And the way he fights in the way he represents himself out there.
It’s something special and you don’t see that in all the players, all the time, no matter where you’re from." Brooksby will now likely start his 2022 season next month in the United States.