Richard Gasquet, 35, hinted this could be his last season on the Tour after beating Ugo Humbert in his Melbourne opener. Gasquet, ranked at No. 81 in the world, is past his prime and his best days on the Tour are long gone but on Tuesday he delivered a good performance to surprise world No.
40 Humbert 3-6 7-6 (4) 7-6 (3) 6-3. The last few seasons haven't been easy for Gasquet, who was forced to skip the Melbourne Summer Set after testing positive for COVID-19. "I will miss all that when I stop. I am still fully into tennis, even when things are not going well.
I doubt I will play again in 2023. You see the end coming, but with victories like this- here, unexpected, you still feel a little alive," Gasquet told L'Equipe, as revealed by Quentin Moynet.
Gasquet suffered a setback at the start of 2022
After landing in Melbourne, Gasquet tested positive for COVID-19 and he couldn't return when his test returned as positive.
"When I was told, I didn't believe it. 'Are you sure it's not a false positive?' But no. I didn't expect to have it at all. I reassured myself that I had already had it and that I was fully vaccinated and that it should be okay.
But no. I kept telling myself this winter, before leaving: 'It's going to be fine, it's going to be fine, I've already had it, I'm pretty much safe'," Gasquet said. Instead of playing tennis, Gasquet was placed in isolation.
"It's hell, in a nutshell. Truly. Staying in the bedroom for a week is a pain in the ass," Gasquet admitted while he was in isolation. "But in the hotel, there, it is very hard. The days are long. With the time difference, I get up at seven in the morning.
I can enjoy the whole day well (sighs)." Gasquet plays Botic Van de Zandschulp in the Australian Open second round.