Dominic Thiem's spokeswoman denies that the Austrian suffered a setback



by   |  VIEW 10682

Dominic Thiem's spokeswoman denies that the Austrian suffered a setback

Austrian tennis star Dominic Thiem hasn't suffered any additional setbacks as he is still scheduled to start his 2022 season next week in Cordoba. This week, some reports said Thiem stopped a practice after just five minutes.

The news concerned Thiem fans as many feared Thiem suffered another setback in his wrist recovery. On Wednesday, Thiem's spokeswoman Laure Perez de Mendiola shut down the rumors of Thiem suffering any type of setback.

"It's true that Dominic stopped training, but that was for other reasons. His wrist is fine, the comeback plan is still fully on track," Mendiola told Kleine Zeitung.

Thiem skipped the Australian summer

"After speaking to my team, we have decided to return to Austria, instead of flying directly to Australia.

Unfortunately, I caught a cold (and tested negative for COVID-19) while in Dubai and was unable to practice last week. I will therefore not be in the pysical condition required to be able to play the ATP Cup and Sydney ATP 250," Thiem said on December 19.

"After not competing for the last six months I can't take the risk of coming back too soon and picking up a further injury. Overall, the time I spent in Dubai was great as I have increased the intensity and level of practice and my wrist is almost at 100 percent."

10 days later Thiem pulled out of the Australian Open. "I will miss the Australian fans, but I will be back (there) in 2023," Thiem said in late December. "We believe this is the right decision in order to have a good return to competition.

For the moment I will remain in Austria for a few more days and then head to practice outdoors and get ready for my first event of the season." Thiem suffered a wrist injury at the Mallorca Open in June. The injury sidelined Thiem way more than it was initially expected.