Defending champion Casper Ruud set to return to Bastad



by   |  VIEW 4569

Defending champion Casper Ruud set to return to Bastad

World No. 8 Casper Ruud has signed up to return to Bastad this year, the tournament announced on Thursday. Ruud, 23, is set to make his fourth Bastad appearance. Ruud enjoyed a strong run in Bastad last year as he won the event without a dropped set.

Ruud saw off Federico Coria 6-3 6-3 in the Bastad final. “It was an incredible week, maybe the best week of my life,” Ruud said after winning the title. “It is an incredible feeling playing here in Bastad with the Swedish, Norwegian and Danish support.

There is nothing like that home crowd feeling. “To win here means a lot. You get a little extra nervous as the No. 1 seed. Me and my father [former World No. 39 Christian Ruud] have been joking about when I am going to beat him at this and this, and now I think I have beaten him in everything!

The Ruud family can finally bring the trophy home to Norway. It is a special feeling having him here with me”.

The Bastad organizers thrilled to have Ruud back

"We are delighted to announce that our reigning champ will return to Nordea Open this summer," the tournament announced.

"The World nr 8 had a great year in 2021, winning 5 tournaments and reaching the ATP finals in Turin. Securing Casper for this year's tournament has been our top priority." After a strong 2021, Ruud was hoping to make his first big Grand Slam result at the Australian Open.

Unfortunately, Ruud twisted his ankle just before the start of the tournament and was forced to withdraw. "It was a very difficult decision to withdraw but I feel like it's the right one and I will now recover as well and fast as possible to be ready for new tournaments and challenges ahead.

I'm sorry that it had to end this way at this year's Australian Open but I will stay positive and see you back in court soon again!" Ruud said.