Russian Tennis Federation President Shamil Tarpischev distanced himself from the comments Andrey Rublev made as he stated that he is not quite sure Rublev himself knows what's a humanitarian aid. On Wednesday, Wimbledon banned Russian and Belarusian players from competing at this year's tournament.
Rublev wasn't happy with the Wimbledon decision, suggesting if they really wanted to do the right thing they should have redistributed the prize money to Ukrainian relief fund. "I don't get what he is babbling about humanitarian aid.
I doubt he himself knows. The athlete said this. Ask him. Why make us two enemies? I don't understand what he proposed and to whom," Tarpischev told Campionat.
RTF chief Tarpischev distances from Rublev's offer to donate prize $ to humanitarian causes:
I don't get what he is babbling about humanitarian aid.
I doubt he himself knows. The athlete said this. Ask him. Why make us two enemies? I don't understand what he proposed and to whom. — Oleg S. (@AnnaK_4ever) April 22, 2022
The comments Rublev made
On Thursday, Rublev played his opener at the Serbia Open in Belgrade.
After beating Jiri Lehecka in three sets, Rublev accused Wimbledon of a " complete discrimination against Russian players." "The reasons they (Wimbledon) gave us had no sense, they were illogical," Rublev said.
"What is happening now is complete discrimination against us. "Banning Russian or Belarusian players....will not change anything. "To give all the prize money to humanitarian help, to the families who are suffering, to the kids who are suffering, I think that would do something, at least a bit.
"Tennis will, in that case, be the first and only sport who donates that amount of money and it will be Wimbledon so they will take all the glory." Shortly after Wimbledon announced their decision to ban Russian and Belarusian players, the LTA did the same.
The LTA - the governing body of tennis in Great Britain - banned Russian and Belarusian players from all British events scheduled for this grass season. Wimbledon banning Russian players had been speculated for weeks. The New York Times reported earlier this week that a tennis authority confirmed to them Wimbledon had decided to ban Russian and Belarusian players. The report published in The New York Times proved to be right as Wimbledon officially confimed the ban on Wednesday.