Dominic Thiem opens on French Open expectations, weighs in on Wimbledon decision
by DZEVAD MESIC | VIEW 7867
Former world No. 3 Dominic Thiem admits he doesn't have big expectations for the French Open but reveals his goal is to return to his best during the second half of the year. Thiem, who sustained a wrist injury at the Mallorca Open last June, made his long-awaited comeback in late March.
Since then, Thiem picked up first round exits at the Marbella Challenger and Belgrade, losing to Pedro Cachin and John Millman, respectively. Thiem accepted a wildcard into this week's Estoril Open, where he was drawn to meet Benjamin Bonzi in the first round.
“The goal is to be in shape for Roland Garros. I won’t be seeded, not expecting big things, but would be nice to play a good match versus a top ranked player. I hope to be at my best for the 2nd half of the year," Thiem said.
“The goal is to be in shape for Roland Garros. I won’t be seeded, not expecting big things, but would be nice to play a good match vs. a top ranked player. I hope to be at my best for the 2nd half of the year”.
pic.twitter.com/F5Xf1Wd1Ur — Millennium #EstorilOpen (@EstorilOpen) April 24, 2022
Thiem 'sad" for Andrey Rublev, Karen Khachanov
Thiem stated that he is for peace and added he is sad Rublev and Khachanov won't play at Wimbledon this year.
“All I can say is that I’m for peace. I know Rublev and Khachanov very well and I’m very sad for them," Thiem said.
When asked about the Wimbledon decision, Rublev went off as he described the action as a "complete discrimination" against Russian players.
Dominic Thiem in press conference, didn’t want to react directly to Wimbledon’s ban.
“All I can say is that I’m for peace. I know Rublev and Khachanov very well and I’m very sad for them”. pic.twitter.com/vVunJWjdsj — José Morgado (@josemorgado) April 24, 2022
"The reasons they (Wimbledon) gave us had no sense, they were illogical," Rublev said. "What is happening now is complete discrimination against us. "Banning Russian or Belarusian players....will not change anything," added Rublev who said redirecting Wimbledon's prize fund, which last year totalled £35 million ($45.6 million), would have a more positive effect.
"To give all the prize money to humanitarian help, to the families who are suffering, to the kids who are suffering, I think that would do something, at least a bit. "Tennis will, in that case, be the first and only sport who donates that amount of money and it will be Wimbledon so they will take all the glory."