Andy Murray withdraws from French Open



by   |  VIEW 15214

Andy Murray withdraws from French Open

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has withdrawn from the French Open. Murray, 35, won't be making his 12th French Open appearance this year.

Murray made his French Open debut in 2006 and since then has had five deep runs at Roland Garros.

In 2016, Murray reached his first and lone French Open final. Murray won the first set of the 2016 French Open final before falling short in four sets to world No. 1 Novak Djokovic. Murray also reached the French Open semifinal on four other occasions.

Murray last played in Madrid

Murray was initially planning to skip the entire clay season but then accepted a wildcard into Madrid. Murray clinched two notable wins in Madrid as he defeated Dominic Thiem and Denis Shapovalov, respectively.

Murray was scheduled to meet Djokovic in the Madrid last-16 but their match never happened as Murray suffered a food poisoning just before the match. "I received a message from Andy yesterday (Wednesday) that he is not feeling well.

It's food poisoning. It sounds like he felt a little better this morning, but still not that he could go out on the court," Madrid Masters tournament director Feliciano Lopez said on the day of the match. Murray and Djokovic were scheduled to meet for the first time since the 2017 Doha final.

Djokovic was sad he didn't get a chance to play Murray in Madrid as he called him one of his greatest rivals. "Andy, first of all, is a great champion, someone I admire a lot, someone I respect a lot. We had some great encounters over the years on all different surfaces.

We played finals of every Slam, I think. He's the only player I've played against in every final (of Slam). Might be the case with Rafa as well. He's definitely next to Rafa and Roger, the greatest rivals I ever had," Djokovic said. Murray is expected to return to action at the start of the grass season in Stuttgart.