Philipp Kohlschreiber to retire at Wimbledon



by   |  VIEW 2612

Philipp Kohlschreiber to retire at Wimbledon

Former world No. 16 Philipp Kohlschreiber has announced he is planning to retire after Wimbledon. Kohlschreiber, 38, is now ranked outside the top-200 and didn't make the main draw cut for Wimbledon. On Monday, Kohlshcreiber made a first step toward making the Wimbledon main draw as he defeated Gregoire Barrere 6-2 6-2 to progress into the qualifying second round.

Kohlschreiber, who made his Wimbledon debut in 2005, is playing a Wimbledon qualifying for the first time in his career. “Funny story. This is my first time here in Roehampton. I had a great and wonderful career. This is going to be my last tournament.

I will stop after Wimbledon 2022. So, I am happy that I have another match here and maybe I will make it to the main draw,” Kohlschreiber said in his post-match interview, as quoted on Tennis TourTalk.

Kohlschreiber just wants to enjoy his final tournament

“I don’t really have a plan (for his post-tennis career),” Kohlschreiber said.

“I just wanna finish and I think it’s kind of a special moment. I am more a quite person. I didn’t want to say that this is my last season. A few people already know that this is going to be my last tournament and I just try to enjoy every match.

It’s been a very long journey. I had great memories, especially here with the biggest success in a Grand Slam”. In the Wimbledon qualifying second round, Kohlschreiber will take on Mikhail Kukushkin. Kohlschreiber has featured in every Wimbledon main draw since 2005.

In 2012, Kohlschreiber achieved his best-ever Wimbledon result, when he reached the quarterfinal before losing to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Earlier this year, Kohlschreiber hinted he is playing his final season on the Tour. Kohlschreiber has enjoyed a very solid career and he would certainly love to say goodbye to tennis by competing in a Wimbledon main draw for one final time.