Alexander Zverev withdraws from Montreal Masters



by   |  VIEW 8716

Alexander Zverev withdraws from Montreal Masters

World No. 2 Alexander Zverev is now definitely set to miss the start of the North American hard court swing as he has withdrawn from the National Bank Open in Montreal.

The National Bank Open - which is held one year in Montreal and the other in Toronto - is now set to without one of its former champions.

Zverev, the 2017 National Bank Open champion, tore several ligaments in his ankle at the French Open and he has been out since. Since Zverev hasn't yet recovered from an ankle surgery, he will have to wait for at least one more year to make his fifth appearance at the National Bank Open.

Zverev actually hasn't played at the National Bank Open since 2019 as in 2020 the event was cancelled because of the pandemic, while the German decided to skip last year's tournament edition following his Tokyo Olympics victory.

Zverev hasn't given up on his US Open participation

The US Open starts on August 29 and Zverev is still hoping to be able to compete in New York. “Sascha is recovering well and is still hoping that he can be ready for the US Open,” a spokesperson told Reuters.

“However, it is still too early to tell if he will be able to compete there or not”. Zverev is eager to return to action as soon as possible but he has made one thing clear - he will play only when he feels he is ready to compete for titles.

"We haven't decided on an exact date for my return yet. I want to win every tournament I play. That's my character, I don't go to events just to play. That's why I will play when I feel: 'I can win this tournament,'" Zverev told Eurosport Deutcschland.

At this year's French Open, Zverev noted he's not one of the youngest players anymore and he is at the point of his career where he simply needs to figure out how to win Grand Slams.