World No. 8 Cameron Norrie has announced his withdrawal from the ATP 500 event in Tokyo following a positive COVID-19 test. Last week, Norrie competed at the inaugural ATP 250 event in Seoul. In Seoul, Norrie won his round-of-16 match before he was forced to give a walkover to Jenson Brooksby in their quarterfinal match.
"Unfortunately, I had a positive Covid test in Korea and wasn't able to compete in the rest of my matches," Norrie said in a message posted on his social media. "I have no symptoms and I am feeling 100% fine. I was really hoping to go to Tokyo but because of the quarantine period I will not be able to play there.
I have no symptoms and I am feeling 100% fine. I was really hoping to go to Tokyo but because of the quarantine period I will not be able to play there."
No Tokyo debut for Norrie
Norrie, 27, was scheduled to make his Tokyo debut this week.
Unfortunately, Norrie will have to wait for at least one more year to make his debut at the Japanese capital. For Norrie, pulling out of Seoul and Tokyo is a big blow. Just a few days ago, Norrie spoke about his plans to play a lot during the indoor-hard swing as his goal is to make the ATP Finals.
“For me, I’m going to make a big push for Turin,” Norrie said, per Tennis365. “I think I’m knocking on the door there. I’m 11 or 12 in the race at the moment, so I’m going to try and make a big push there.
I’m going to Seoul, Tokyo, (have) a week off, Stockholm, Vienna, Paris, so a pretty full schedule. A lot of points on the line, and a lot of tennis to be played, but yeah, like I said, I want to just go all in to try and make Turin," Norrie said. Norrie is now aiming to return to action in Stockholm, which kicks off on October 17.