World No 14 Matteo Berrettini has announced that he is withdrawing from this week's Erste Bank Open in Vienna due to a foot injury. Berrettini, 26, was scheduled to make his third Vienna appearance this week. However, Berrettini is hoping to be able to compete at the Paris Masters next week.
"Congratulations to my good friend @lore_musetti on the title in Napoli. And thank you to all the fans for the incredible support throughout the week Following multiple assessments from medical experts on my left foot, I have been informed that I will not be able to compete at the @erstebankopen in Vienna.
I will do everything I can to try be ready to compete in Paris. Thank you as always for all the kind messages," Berrettini announced on Instagram.
Berrettini enjoyed two deep runs in Vienna in the past
Berrettini debuted at the Erste Bank Open in 2019, when he made the semifinal before losing to Dominic Thiem.
Last year, Berrettini reached the Vienna quarterfinal before he was stopped by Carlos Alcaraz. Unfortunately, Berrettini won't be competing in the Austria capital this year. On Saturday, Berrettini defeated Mackenzie McDonald 3-6 7-6 (2) 6-3 in the Naples semifinal.
After the match, Berrettini revealed that he was surprised that he was able to win the match since his foot was causing him great pain. "I actually don’t even know how I did it. I wasn’t feeling very good. I had asked for the physio because my foot was hurting.
Hopefully for tomorrow I’m going to be ready. But like has happened so many times in my career I fought through so many things that are not just thinking about a tennis ball. Some stuff about my body. But I didn’t want to retire.
My team told me ‘I think you should stop’ and I was like ‘no, I want to lose this match.’ I’m tired of retiring. So I tried and at the end I found a way so I’m really happy," Berrettini said after his semifinal win in Naples.