2018 Australian Open finalist Marin Cilic has withdrawn from the opening Grand Slam of the season due to a knee injury. Cilic, 34, won't be making his 15th Australian Open appearance this January. In the past, Cilic had some notable results at Melbourne Park.
Cilic's first great Australian Open result came in 2010, when he made the semifinal before losing to Andy Murray. Eight years later, Cilic reached his first Australian Open final before falling just to Roger Federer in five sets.
Also, Cilic's run of seven consecutive Australian Open appearances has come to an end. The last time Cilic was forced to withdraw from the Australian Open happened in 2015. "Not a great start to 2023 and few tough days in Melbourne.
Devastated I can't play this year at @AustralianOpen but health comes first. See you next year Melbourne," Cilic announced on Twitter.
Not a great start to 2023 and few tough days in Melbourne.
Devastated I can't play this year at @AustralianOpen but health comes first.
See you next year Melbourne!
😔👋 — Marin Cilic (@cilic_marin) January 11, 2023
Cilic injured himself in Pune
Last week, Cilic kicked off his season in Pune. Cilic, who was the top-seeded player in Pune, had a first-round bye at the Indian event before beating Roberto Carballes Baena in three sets.
After beating Carballes Baena, Cilic was scheduled to meet Tallon Griekspoor in the Pune quarterfinal. Unfortunately, Cilic then injured his knee and was forced to give Griekspoor a walkover. "Very sorry that I couldn't come out again today to compete.
Today during the warm-up, I injured my knee and unfortunately it didn't get better," Cilic said in his statement after withdrawing from Pune. The Australian Open has now suffered two blows. On Friday, world No 1 Carlos Alcaraz announced his withdrawal from the Australian Open.
"When I was at my best in preseason, I picked up an injury through a chance, unnatural movement in training. This time it's the semimembranosus muscle in my right leg. I'd worked so hard to get to my best level for Australia but unfortunately I won't be able to play the Care A2+ Kooyong or the Australian Open.
It's tough, but I have to be optimistic, recover and look forward. See you in 2024," Alcaraz announced on Instagram. It remains to be seen when will Cilic and Alcaraz be ready to play again.
Rafael Nadal gets very honest on how he feels about Carlos Alcaraz's tennis
Carlos Alcaraz sacrificed the Davis Cup to have a full schedule till the ATP Finals
Novak Djokovic shares his very honest prediction for Carlos Alcaraz
Stefanos Tsitsipas knew: 'Carlos Alcaraz is a Major contender'
A Slam legend says Novak Djokovic rips Carlos Alcaraz
David Ferrer blames Carlos Alcaraz for his absence in Davis Cup?