Struggling Dominic Thiem signs up to compete at Mauthausen Challenger

Thiem set to return to the Challenger level.

by Dzevad Mesic
SHARE
Struggling Dominic Thiem signs up to compete at Mauthausen Challenger

2020 US Open champion Dominic Thiem has signed up to play at the Mauthausen Challenger, per Nikolaus Fink.

Thiem, who is now ranked at No 106 in the world, suffered his fifth consecutive defeat after losing to Lorenzo Sonego in the Miami Masters first round.

After the match, Thiem - who is now 1-8 on the season - indicated that returning to the Challenger level was an option. The Mauthausen Challenger - an Austrian Challenger event that held its inaugural edition last year - is taking place between May 08-14.

Thiem has had a very rough start to 2023

Thiem, who was awarded a main draw wildcard into Miami, exited the tournament in the first round after Sonego handed him a 7-6 (7) 6-2 loss. In the first-set tie-break, Thiem didn't realize a set point and from that moment his game collapsed.

“It was a tight first set. Unfortunately, after the tie-break, I lost my tension for a very short time, then I’m 4-0 down and only then can I get back into the game – the holes are just not good. The slight loss of concentration or the slight drop in tension was also the reason why I lost the second set.

Of course, there is also a bit of a lack of self-confidence, and I have to make sure that I get that back," Thiem said after losing to Sonego. Over the weekend, Thiem shared a message to his fans. "Currently on my way back home!

@miamiopen, thank you for the WC! Over and over again, it's a fantastic event! I am already looking forward to returning to one of the most amazing cities! At the moment, it's all about the small steps in my process. Step by step, I will work my way forward," Thiem said in a message posted on his Instagram over the weekend. It remains to be seen if returning to the Challenger Tour can help Thiem find his game and rhythm.

Dominic Thiem
SHARE