Jenson Brooksby comments on his ban: 'I intend to appeal'

Jenson Brooksby has been suspended after committing three whereabouts failures

by Jovica Ilic
Jenson Brooksby comments on his ban: 'I intend to appeal'
© Mark Kolbe / Staff - Getty Images Sport

The former world no. 33 Jenson Brooksby has been suspended for 18 months after committing three whereabouts failures in a twelve-month period. The young American will appeal the decision, stating he has never taken a banned substance.

Brooksby accepted that the first and third missed tests were valid, leaving the second missed test to be disputed before the tribunal. Considering the evidence, the tribunal found that Brooksby's fault for the missed test was high.

Thus, the young American received an 18-month suspension, staying away from the court until January 4, 2025. Jenson has been dealing with injuries, playing two tournaments this year and undergoing surgeries. The American underwent arthroscopic left wrist surgery in March and embraced another on his right wrist in May.

Brooksby had been struggling with his wrists for two years, feeling an increased pain in the second part of 2022 and needing to stop early this year.

Jenson Brooksby has been suspended until January 2025.

"I am very disappointed to learn that I have been suspended for 18 months for three missed tests.

I have never taken a banned substance in my life. I was open and honest with ITIA throughout my case. I understand that it is my responsibility, and I will learn and grow. I accepted that 2 of my missed tests were my fault, but I maintain that my June 4, 2022, missed test should be set aside.

I was in my hotel room for the entirety of my one-hour testing window. The hotel room had been booked for the first part of my stay in the name of my physio (who was staying with me) because ATP did not provide me a room until June 4.

Starting on June 4, the room was in my name, but I had asked that my name be added to the room days before that. The hotel told the officer that I had not yet checked in, but they showed him their computer screen with my room number listed on it.

Having that information, the Doping Control Officer never asked the hotel to call my room, so I did not know they were there to test. The officer only called my cellphone (which was on silent) in the last 4 minutes of the testing window (at 6:56 a.m.).

Had the officer called my hotel room even once, I would have been tested because I was awake and had nothing to hide. I intend to appeal this decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. I have been fighting injuries for almost a year.

Unfortunately, my return to the sport I love will be delayed a little longer. But I will be back and hope it will be soon," Jenson Brooksby said.

Jenson Brooksby