Nick Kyrgios withdraws from Rotterdam Open due to knee injury


by   |  VIEW 3558
Nick Kyrgios withdraws from Rotterdam Open due to knee injury

Nick Kyrgios withdrew from the ABN Amro World Tennis Tournament in Rotterdam that takes place next week. It's the third year, after 2016 and 2018, that the Australian player was forced to pull out of the tournament due to an injury.

He had confirmed his appearance in Rotterdam last year in August. He is next committed to play the Delray Beach Open and the Acapulco Open. Playing Rotterdam would not have been easy for Kyrgios in terms of travelling, as he would have gone to Europe just for one week.

"Nick Kyrgios had his knee examined last week, played a doubles to test the state of his recovery, but it proved to be insufficient. For that reason he is not able to play in Rotterdam again this year," said the Tournament Director Richard Krajicek.

Kyrgios joins the world no. 4 Alexander Zverev, the defending finalist Grigor Dimitrov and Briton Kyle Edmund on the withdrawals list. Rotterdam will still feature a star-stunned field featuring Kei Nishikori, Marin Cilic among others.

The draw ceremony will take place on Friday at 7:30 PM. After his loss to Milos Raonic in at the Australian Open, in Melbourne, Kyrgios had said: "I've had a sore knee now for a while. Did everything I could. Been warming up.

Been super professional before I'm even hitting. Warming up all the time. Just an ongoing thing. I don't know why we're talking about it. I literally just said it had nothing to do with my loss. Really pointless to keep asking me questions about it."