Milos Raonic to work with Fabrice Santoro until the end of the season

Tennis - Raonic split with Goran Ivanisevic in March, traveling to Indian Wells and Miami with the Frenchman

by Jovica Ilic
SHARE
Milos Raonic to work with Fabrice Santoro until the end of the season

Scoring just four ATP wins by the age of 20, Milos Raonic had to work hard to deserve the place among the elite 100 players in 2011, improving every element of his game and cracking the top-25 after some respectable results in the first couple of months.

Entering the top-50 in February after playing in the title matches in San Jose and Memphis, Milos has stayed there for more than eight years, competing in 22 ATP finals so far and winning eight titles. The Canadian booked the place in the top-10 in August 2013 and stayed there almost all the time until the summer of 2017, struggling with injuries in the last couple of years and reaching only three ATP finals after losing to Roger Federer in the title match at Wimbledon 2016.

Right leg, left wrist, right calf muscle tear, right knee and elbow injuries have halted Milos' progress in the last 30 months, unable to deliver his best tennis and stay inside the top-30 last June. In the last six or seven years, Raonic has been working with various coaches, including Galo Blanco, Ivan Ljubicic, Riccardo Piatti, Carlos Moya, John McEnroe (for a short period), Richard Krajicek and Goran Ivanisevic.

A former Wimbledon champion and Raonic parted ways in March and Milos started a trial period with Fabrice Santoro, advancing into the last four at Indian Wells where Dominic Thiem defeated him in three sets. Kyle Edmund proved to be too strong in Miami and Milos will now take some rest before embracing the clay swing where he won only 180 points last year after struggling with injury.

Milos and Fabrice have announced they will work together for the rest of the season, discussing their plans until Paris Masters and hoping to reach the ATP Finals in London as well. Inspired by Raonic's professionalism and ambition, Fabrice is confident they can achieve a lot together if he manages to change only 10% of Raonic's game, already satisfied with the remaining 90%.

One of the main goals is to make Milos attacking the net more, using his serve and hight to go forward whenever it is possible and shorten the points to save his body and prolong a career. Santoro also praised the upcoming Canadians Denis Shapovalov and Felix Auger-Aliassime, saying the French Federation should learn from them how to deliver new talents.

Milos Raonic Fabrice Santoro Goran Ivanisevic
SHARE