Hans Podlipnik-Castillo, 31, retires from professional tennis



by   |  VIEW 3164

Hans Podlipnik-Castillo, 31, retires from professional tennis

Chilean tennis player Hans Podlipnik-Castillo has announced his retirement from a professional tennis via an Instagram post. The Chilean, who turned professional in 2005, retires at the age of 31 and after being a part of the Chilean team that competed at the inaugural Davis Cup Finals.

Chile failed to register a win and make it past the Round Robin stage in Madrid as they concluded their campaign at the tournament in Thursday. On Tuesday, Podlipnik-Castillo teamed up with Nicolas Jarry in the doubles tie against Argentina and suffered a straight-set defeat at the hands of Maximo Gonzalez and Leonardo Mayer.

Doubles specialist Podlipnik-Castillo didn't have success two days later either as he and Marcelo Tomas Barrios Vera were beaten in two sets by German duo Kevin Krawietz and Andreas Mies. "It's been a long way, full of moments that I will love for the rest of my life.

If one day someone had told me that I would travel more than 75 countries in the world, I would play all the Grand Slams, the Olympics and that I would also have the honor of representing my country in the Davis Cup, I would not have believed it," Podlipnik-Castillo said.

Podlipnik-Castillo achieved a singles career-high ranking of No. 157 in the world in 2015, while his doubles career-high ranking of No. 43 came last year. Podlipnik-Castillo's lone ATP title came on the clay courts of Quito as he and Jarry claimed the Quito doubles title last year.