Grand Slam champion tests positive for banned substance


by   |  VIEW 9967
Grand Slam champion tests positive for banned substance

Robert Farah, ATP No. 1 doubles player, has been reported to have tested positive for a banned substance in October. Farah, who was supposed to play both the Adelaide International and the Australian Open with long-time partner and fellow Colombian, Juan Sebastian Cabal, pulled out of both events, citing “personal reasons”.

However, Farah, who won Wimbledon and the US Open in 2019 alongside Cabal, admitted on Tuesday, on his social media, that he tested positive for Boldenone, an anabolic banned steroid. "I will not be able to play at the Australian Open, an event for which I had been preparing since December,” the Colombian communicated on his Twitter account.

“A few hours ago the ITF informed me of the presence of Boldenone in a test that I did on October 17, 2019 in Cali. “Two weeks before the test mentioned ... I did an anti-doping test in Shanghai which had a negative result.

And I was also tested at least 15 other times randomly in the international circuit throughout the year with the same negative result. As stated by the Colombian Olympic Committee in 2018, this substance is found frequently in Colombian meat and may affect athletes' test results."

Although it is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), Boldenone is used by numerous Colombian farmers to boost growth in cows. “I’m sure that’s what generated the result from the test in question,” the 32-year-old said.

“I’m going through one of the saddest moments of my life and, without a doubt, the saddest of my sporting career. “With my team and a group of advisers we’re looking into the steps to take in a process in which we hope to show that I’ve never used any products that violate fair play and ethics,” he added.

“I am calm and confident in the results of this process since I have always acted correctly and honestly in my life,” Farah also said. “I will work harder than ever to return to the courts in the shortest time possible”.

The ITF confirmed the facts:“The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme can confirm that Robert Farah provided an Out-of-Competition sample on 17 October 2019, which returned a positive finding for Boldenone. This case will follow the procedures set out in Article 8 of the TADP”. Earlier, it was announced that Nicolas Jarry also tested positive in November.