The AELTC has stated that they are "continuing a detailed evaluation of all scenarios for The Championships." This year's Wimbledon is scheduled to take place from June 29 - July 12. Last week, the ATP extended the Tour suspension through to June 7 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
On June 8, the grass season is scheduled to start, with events in Stuttgart and 's-Hertogenbosch taking place. However, it's far from certain that the season will indeed resume on June 8. In their latest statement, the AELTC confirmed that postponement and cancellation of The Championships is an option.
"An emergency meeting of the AELTC Main Board is scheduled for next week, and in preparation we are communicating closely with the LTA, and with the ATP, WTA, ITF and the other Grand Slams. The build for The Championships is due to begin at the end of April," the AELTC said.
"At this time, based on the advice we have received from the public health authorities, the very short window available to us to stage The Championships due to the nature of our surface suggests that postponement is not without significant risk and difficulty.
Playing behind closed doors has been formally ruled out." Wimbledon CEO Richard Lewis underlined that the health of everyone involved comes at first place. "The unprecedented challenge presented by the COVID-19 crisis continues to affect our way of life in ways that we could not have imagined, and our thoughts are with all those affected in the UK and around the world," Lewis said in a statement released.
"The single most important consideration is one of public health, and we are determined to act responsibly through the decisions we make. We are working hard to bring certainty to our plans for 2020 and have convened an emergency meeting of the AELTC Main Board for next week, at which a decision will be made”.