French tennis star Richard Gasquet admits he isn't too optimistic that the season will resume on July 13 once the current Tour suspension expires. On April 1, the ATP, WTA and ITF further extended the suspension of the tours until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The ATP and WTA have given themselves until June 1 to make a decision on what to do with the summer hard-court season. "It's difficult to speak on the future but it seems very difficult to me that the Tour will resume before September.
I'm quite pessimistic," Gasquet told Ouest-France, as revealed on We Love Tennis France. "I don't know if there is a sport as globalized as tennis. When you make a tournament, there are sixty nationalities and an incredible crowding."
Even before the ATP and WTA decided to further extend the initial suspension of the tours, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) made a decision to move the French Open to a new date and have it scheduled from September 20 - October 4.
FFT's decision to move the French Open to a new date without consultations with the major governing bodies of tennis didn't sit well with anyone and they received a lot of criticism for their action. The French Open now starts just seven days after the conclusion of the US Open, which takes place from August 31 - September 13.
"We must save what can be saved. The Grand Slam tournaments are the most important," Gasquet said. Last week, ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi confirmed the priority will be on the biggest events if the season resumes.