Argentine tennis star Juan Martin del Potro has announced via social media that he is ending the collaboration with his long-time coach Sebastian Prieto. Del Potro, the 2009 US Open champion, says working with Prieto was nothing but a pleasure as he wishes his now former coach nothing but the best going forward.
22-time ATP champion del Potro was enjoying an outstanding 2018 season but then he fractured his kneecap at the Shanghai Masters and his great season came to an end on a disappointing way. The 31-year-old Argentine returned to competitive action in February 2019 but he played only five tournaments before he reinjured his kneecap.
"I want to share that I have agreed with Sebastian Prieto to end our partnership, so that he can work with Juan Londero, while I continue my rehab process," del Potro said in a Twitter post. "I'm very thankful to Piper for all of these years together.
He is a great a coach and even a better person. All the best!
I want to share that I have agreed with Sebastian Prieto to end our partnership, so that he can work with Juan Londero, while I continue my rehab process. I'm very thankful to Piper for all of these years together.
He is a great a coach and even a better person. All the best! — Juan M. del Potro (@delpotrojuan) May 30, 2020
Juan Martin del Potro helping Londero with his move
Londero, who turned professional in 2010, enjoyed the best season of his career last year.
The 26-year-old Argentine started the season on a high note as he put up a great in front of his home fans to claim his maiden ATP title in Cordoba. Several months iater, Londero ended runner-up to Nicolas Jarry in the Bastad final and achieved a career-high ranking of No.
50 in the world. Londero, now ranked at No. 62 in the world, is in the prime years of his career and he is certainly eager to achieve more success on the Tour. Meanwhile, it remains to be seen will Juan Martin del Potro be ready to return to action once tennis returns.