World No. 35 Guido Pella, who was withdrawn from the ongoing Western & Southern Open event in New York along with World No. 93 Hugo Dellien after their fitness trainer, Juan Manuel Galvan, had tested positive for the coronavirus, has released a statement on Instagram to say that he needs an explanation about the current situation.
In his statement, Pella says that he, Dellien, and their coach have all tested negative for the virus multiple times since they have been in New York and that their trainer has also tested negative now.
⚠️ Guido Pella announces on Instagram that they finally retested his fitness trainer Jose Galvan and that he is negative.
‘It looks like he never had the virus. Imagine how I feel’.
Pella, Dellien, Acasuso all tested negative 5 times since they arrived at the bubble pic.twitter.com/a0jH3yEuB1 — José Morgado (@josemorgado) August 24, 2020
Guido Pella says he has not got any information from the ATP or the tournament
According to Eurosport, Pella says in his Instagram statement, "We had no information from the tournament or the ATP.
I gave my fifth negative result of Covid-19, as did Hugo and Jose (Acasuso, their coach) and nobody tells us anything. "And yesterday afternoon they tested it again on my physical trainer and he was negative. Imagine the feeling I have."
"I don't know what will happen at the time, who will take charge and what solution they will give us from the tournament. Juan is negative and apparently never had the virus." “But here there was a very serious error on the part of someone.
I hope they can give me pertinent explanations, because what I went through this week was very difficult”. The move to withdraw the players from the tournament was widely criticised by many players on the men's and women's side - including President of the ATP Players Council Novak Djokovic, who said that the information he received seem to contradict the ruling.
The Serbian had told the press in New York, "On a Zoom call a few weeks ago we got information from the chief medical doctor of the USTA that if a player is not sharing a room with his coach, or his physio, or anyone from his team that is infected, and his [own] results are negative, he can still compete in the tournament.
We asked that question [about team members testing positive] a couple of times in the call, and that's what was communicated to us. That's why a lot of the players were - are - upset, including myself, when I see that Pella and Dellien are treated in this way”.
Tournament officials in New York had defended the exclusion of the players, saying that after consulting with US Open medical staff and the New York City health officials it was determined they had been in close enough contact with their trainer to put them at risk of contracting the virus. The US Open begins in New York on August 31st.