Top-ranked Argentine tennis player Diego Schwartzman has withdrawn from Queen's. Schwartzman, ranked at No. 10 in the world, had been scheduled to make his second appearance in Queen's this year. Schwartzman, a former world No.
8, made his Queen's debut in 2019. Back then, Schwartzman beat Alexander Bublik and Marin Cilic, before losing to Daniil Medvedev in the quarterfinal. Following Schwartzman's withdrawal, a place in the Queen's main draw opened for Alexei Popyrin.
Schwartzman exited the French Open in the quarterfinal
Schwartzman suffered a straight-set defeat versus Rafael Nadal at Roland Garros on Wednesday. "I started badly in the second set, then I was able to come back," said Nadal.
"But at 4-4, returning with the wind, I played a bad game and hit a double fault in the next game. I needed to play more aggressively and I did so throughout the rest of the match. I won an important match today against a tough opponent.
I was able to find a way to play my best tennis in the moments that I really needed to." Nadal plays next Novak Djokovic, who beat Matteo Berrettini in four sets. "I thought the atmosphere was Davis Cup-like, to be honest,” the Serb said.
“It was a lot of fans involved, every single point cheering, screaming. Just electric atmosphere out there. Yeah, I’m happy that I had that experience of playing in front of the crowd in the night session….
The crowd lifted him up. He was playing some really powerful tennis. Especially in the third and fourth he served tremendously strong and precise. It was just very difficult to read his serve and play someone like him. “I didn’t mind actually leaving the court because I felt like I needed a little bit of a break and reset.
Yeah, it’s unfortunate for the tournament, for the crowd, to have that curfew. But we knew it before the match. Referee came up to us and said, ‘If it comes close to 11:00, we’ll have to empty the stadium.’ That’s what happened”.