Andy Murray has received a big recognition earlier this week. The British player collected his knighthood at Buckingham Palace on Thursday and through a press release he said: “It’s great recognition for my results of the last few years and it’s obviously a very nice way to finish 2016 or start 2017, but I’m more than happy just being known as Andy, that’s fine by me”.
In a statement, Murray said: ”Many people I admire, such as Quentin Blake, Ellen MacArthur, Chris Hoy, Jacqueline Wilson, Nicholas Hytner, Jocelyn Bell Burnell, Bryn Terfel, Ray Davies, Mary Beard – far too many to list – have been happy to accept a knighthood or damehood, and I am proud to be in their company”.
In an interview to The Times Murray commented on his next plans. The British player is training at Wimbledon following his hip surgery and he is optimistic about competing on the professional tour again. Murray hit with Nick Kyrgios on Monday.
The three-time Grand Slam winner said: “I would say there is very little chance I’d play singles during the grass (season). Potentially doubles but I’m not trying to get ready for singles just now. Because I’ve only just started moving now, to get ready for the grass singles-wise, I’d have to be doing that for two-and-a-half to three weeks before Queens. And that would only give me five or six days of building up to start running properly. It’s not enough time."