Rising Australian star Gabriella Da Silva Fick, 19, says the players have been kind of left on their own and they will have to find a way to make some income during the Tour suspension. Last week, the ATP, WTA and ITF extended the suspension of the tours until at least July 13 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Several high-ranked players have publicly said they will be fine during the Tour suspension but also noted that something needs to be done to help lower-ranked professionals as they could face financial struggles. World No.
536 Da Silva Fick appeared in several ITF events this season and according to the WTA website, she has earned a total of $2,573 in tournament prize money this year. "We have no income from tennis at the moment, there doesn’t seem like there has been any support coming from organisations.
We’ve kind of been left to our own devices”. Da Silva Fick told Sam Groth and Brett Philips on The First Serve. “I’ve been lucky, the Collaroy Tennis has given me free court hire and stringing, so if the community works together to help young players that will go a long way, financially it’s been really difficult.
My dad owns a cafe so I’ve been doing a couple of shifts there to have some source of income and a change of scenery, It’s going to be hard for players ranked from 200 onwards to come back from this”.