World No. 1 Ash Barty says she would look at all possible information from the WTA and USTA before making a decision about traveling to the United States for the US Open Grand Slam event if it goes ahead in late August, while speaking to the Sydney Morning Herald.
USTA officials have been providing some updates to the media in recent days about the possibility of holding the event as scheduled in late August, including holding the event with limited fans and limited support staff for players being allowed.
Barty says she will look at possible information and take a call which is best for her as well as her team. "It's exciting that tennis is being talked about again and things are moving in the right direction for us to start competing but I'd need to understand all of the information and advice from the WTA and the USTA before making a decision on the US events."
Ash Barty speaks about playing the US Open
Barty added that the safety and requirements/ rules for her support team would also play an important role in her decision on whether or not to play the US Open and any other events in the US.
"It's not just me, it's my team I have to consider." Earlier this week, in an interview to the media, men's World No. 2 Rafael Nadal also stated that he would not like to travel to the United States in the current state unless it was safe for him to travel and play without having the fear of contracting the virus or getting it back home, adding that he does not know about the situation two months later.
Ash Barty is currently ranked No. 1 in the world and is the second Australian WTA singles No. 1 after Evonne Goolagong Cawley. She has won eight singles titles and ten doubles titles on the WTA Tour, including 2019 French Open singles title, the 2019 WTA Finals and the 2018 US Open with partner CoCo Vandeweghe.
Barty serves as the National Indigenous Tennis Ambassador for Tennis Australia. The US Open is scheduled to be held in New York on 24th August. The USTA has said that they would take a call about holding the event by mid-June so that it gives them enough lead time to go into actual preparation of the event and also provide time for the players to prepare for the tournament.
The USTA is also considering moving the Cincinnnati event to New York so that players would be easier for players to remain in one city if the summer tournaments do go ahead.