Texas Christian University beat its rivals SMU also in this first part of the 2023 season. TCU pitched a 5-0 shutout inside the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.
As reported by the Texas Christian University website, TCU has now won 14 straight games over the Mustangs dating back to 2006.
Head coach David Roditi said: "Really good win against SMU. They are a great team. It's always a battle. Such a great rivalry. A lot of respect. They are well coached and continue to improve every single year. I was very impressed with the way in which our boys dated.
Our boys knew what they were up against, showed up and took care of business. Really impressive performances at No. 1 in doubles with Sander Jong and Lui Maxted, and then also with Jake Fearnley and Luc Fomba at No. 2. We get the doubles point and then Fomba goes off the court (in singles).
He goes off the court with a big win and then Sander takes the game. I'm just impressed how the our guys competed the frying pan. Great support, great to see so many people here, and go Frogs!"
Men's singles results
1. Sander Jong (TCU) final.
Adam Neff (SMU): 6-4, 6-4
2. #28 Luc Fomba (TCU) final. Pranav Kumar (SMU): 6-4, 6-3
3. Tomas Jirousek (TCU) vs. Liam Krall (SMU): 7-6, 2-1, unfinished
4. He Maxted (TCU) def. Antionio Muniz-Hidalgo (SMU): 6-3, 7-5
5. #76 Pedro Vives (TCU) final.
Julian Steinhausen (SMU): 6-3, 6-3
6. Sebastian Gorzny (TCU) vs. Jack Winkler (SMU): 6-2, unfinished
Men's doubles results:
1. #4 Sander Jong / Lui Maxted (TCU) final. Pranav Kumar / Adam Neff (SMU) 6-2
2. Jake Fearnley / Luc Fomba (TCU) def.
Jack Winkler/Julian Steinhausen (SMU) 6-4
3. Sebastian Gorzny / Pedro Vives (TCU) vs. Antonio Muniz-Hidalgo / Liam Krall (SMU): 6-6, unfinished
Texas Christian University is a private research university in Fort Worth, Texas.
The campus is located on 272 acres about 3 miles from downtown Fort Worth. The university consists of eight constituent colleges and schools and has a classical liberal arts curriculum. It is classified among R2: Doctoral Universities – High research activity.
For most varsity sports, TCU competes in the Big 12 conference of the NCAA's Division I. As of Fall 2021, the university enrolls around 11,938 students, with 10,222 being undergraduates. As reported by the website of the Texas Christian University, TCU women's tennis team opened the 2023 season with the TCU Invitational at the Bayard H. Friedman Center.