2017 tennis season is now a memory. ATP tournaments had two dominators: Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer, who won two Slams each, but there was also glory for Grigor Dimitrov, winner at the ATP Finals, and for Alexander Zverev. Again this year, great matches were played, with spectacular shots, exciting races and amazing moments, that emotionally involved the same tennis players, the crowd, the fans and the media.
Tennis World would like to recall the last ATP tennis season with the five best matches!
5) Gilles Muller d. Rafael Nadal 6-3 6-4 3-6 4-6 15-13 - Wimbledon. After the great results on clay, Nadal was one of the great favorites at the Championships. Yet, a super Gilles Muller was able to eliminate the Spaniard in the fourth round, in five exciting sets, at the end of a spectacular fifth partial. Definitely the best match of Wimbledon 2017!
4) Juan Martin del Potro d. Dominic Thiem 1-6 2-6 6-1 7-6 6-4 - US Open. The US Open's Fourth Round gave to Flushing Meadows crowd one of the most exciting match this year. A great del Potro recovered two sets against Thiem, and then beat him in the decisive set, after having risked everything in the fourth partial!
3) Stan Wawrinka d. Andy Murray 6 (6) -7 6-3 5-7 7-6 (3) 6-1 - French Open. Despite Roland Garros' last edition being one of the worst in history, the semi-finals between Wawrinka and Murray has been one of the most intense and harsh challenges of the season, where the crowd assured a true battle of muscle and mind. Wawrinka won five memorable sets!
2) Rafael Nadal d. Grigor Dimitrov 6-3 5-7 7-6 (5) 6 (4) -7 6-4 - Australian Open. Heart, grit, quality, racing, shots, rally. An incredible match, the Melbourne semi-finals, won by Nadal after five spectacular sets, where the result was hovering up to the last point. Thanks to this victory, the Spaniard returned to playing a Slam final after almost three years!
1) Roger Federer d. Rafael Nadal 6-4 3-6 6-1 3-6 6-3 - Australian Open. It is hard to explain in words Federer's eighteenth Slam victory, who defeated his nemesis in one of the most important finals of tennis history. Revitalized for months of rest, Federer defeats Nadal after five sets of pure emotion, thanks to a sensational backhand, old weak point, now new weapon available for the Swiss Mestro!
Bonus) Grigor Dimitrov d. David Goffin 7-6 4-6 6-3 - ATP Finals. Dimitrov became ATP Maestro of this tennis season, defeating David Goffin in three amazing sets, and winning the most important title of his career!