The 2018 edition of the French Open still saw the triumph of Rafael Nadal in the men's singles, Simona Halep's first time in women's singles, and the exploits of Marco Cecchinato and Sloane Stephens. The level of play was better than in 2017, even if the emotions, at least in the men's tournament, were few. Here are the best 5 matches selected by Tennis World USA of the Parisian Fortnight.
5) Marin Cilic vs Fabio Fognini - Men's fourth round. Five sets needed to Marin Cilic to overcome the Italian. Five sets in which he showed a great court, made of winners and amazing shots. One of the best challenge in Paris!
4) Sloane Stephens vs. Camila Giorgi - Women's third round. Emotions, incredible shots and three sets of great fun for the crowd. Stephens came out alive from the battle, despite her opponent wasted many chances!
3) Rafael Nadal vs. Dominic Thiem - Men's final. For importance, we could not rule out the final from this list. In three dominated sets, Rafa has won his eleventh title at the Roland Garros, further rewriting the record book!
2) Marco Cecchinato vs. Novak Djokovic - Men's quarterfinal. Incredible emotions, fantastic shots, thrilling points, and four sets of great entertainment for lovers of our sport. Cecchinato kept the cold blood, defeating Nole in four partials!
1) Simona Halep vs. Sloane Stephens - Women's final. It was the best match of the 2018 Parisian fortnight! On the brink of the abyss, Halep overturned the fate that has ever seen her lose in the final, defeating Stephens in three sets, winning the first Major of her career!