Against Alex de Minaur in their first round at the European Open in Antwerp on Tuesday, Richard Gasquet served for what would have been his second top-50 win of the 2020 season. However, the 10th game of the second set – in which he was broken – turned out to be pivotal not just for that set but for the rest of the match, too.
As it turned out, the Australian changed the direction of the match entirely from that game on, eventually winning it 3-6, 7-6(5), 6-3 in two hours and 18 minutes. Understandably dismayed after the match, the Frenchman, credited his opponent for making a comeback in the match.
Speaking with TennisWorld USA, Gasquet said, “I started very well. I was playing pretty good but I know De Minaur is a fighter. He deserved to win. As I said, he’s a real fighter and that’s why he could win”.
Richard Gasquet on what's next for him this year
Then, reflecting back on his performance and on that particular game, Gasquet said, “I did some mistake at 5-4… Then, I was not lucky with the tie-break.
I was in the match; I could have won 7-6 in the second set. And, then, of course, when you are losing the second set 7-6, it starts to get tougher… I am a little bit sad now because when I am serving for the match, I am never happy to lose the match.
But I tried my best and the level was there”. Following his Antwerp result, the 34-year-old has now lost in the opening round in three straight events. He lost in the first round of the French Open to Roberto Bautista Agut a few weeks ago, and then to Daniil Medvedev in the first round of the St.
Petersburg Open last week. Richard Gasquet, though, is keen on quickly moving past these setbacks as he prepares to wrap up the season. “I just need to recover now and try to play better next week,” said the world no.
54, adding, “I am (playing) in Kazakhstan (Astana Cup) and Bercy, the last two tournaments of the year. I have to finish the season well. I will try my best”. Photo Courtesy: Ultimate Tennis Showdown (UTS)