India's Prajnesh Gunneswaran says that the US Open should have made some provisions for alternates in the singles draws after missing out from the tournament by one spot. When the US Open draw was made on Thursday, Gunneswaran was one spot out of the main draw.
The left-hander did take his chance and travelled to New York but there were no more withdrawals before the main draw was made. Now, as per the US Open rules, even if a player withdraws from singles event prior to the start of play on Monday, Gunneswaran won't be considered.
The USTA had stated that alternates would only be considered from those who are already inside the US Open bubble which means a player in the doubles draw will get the alternate spot in case there is a withdrawal from the singles event.
Prajnesh Gunneswaran says not right that the US Open allowed for zero alternates
According to The Times of India, Gunneswaran says, "The US Open should have made provision for a few alternates. I don’t think it’s right that they allowed for zero alternates,” "In my opinion, if you’re allowing coaches, trainers and physios, why can’t you add five additional singles players to the tournament bubble?" "There are likely to be one or two pullouts on Saturday and Sunday.
Even if I was to stay on, I wouldn’t be able to play because of this rule." “We were not able to influence that as players. I know that the ATP asked for it, but the US Open decides when it comes to this. I don’t understand how we as players don’t have enough say in this tug-of-war.
These are things that we all as players have to
think of, going forward”. Prajnesh Gunneswaran, who is India's No. 2 ranked player on the ATP Tour after Sumit Nagal, was aware of the rule prior to leaving from India for New York earlier in the week.
He had stated that if he did not get in to the US Open, he would likely head to Europe and play some events there in preparation for the French Open.