The reports of world No. 1 Novak Djokovic being investigated in Spain are not true, per POLITICO.
On Wednesday, COPE reported that the Spanish government wanted to know whether the Serb entered the country illegally in late December. Djokovic went to Marbella in late December to do final preparations for the 2022 season.
Important update via POLITICO: "Spain’s interior ministry said Thursday it is not investigating whether Novak Djokovic broke coronavirus rules by entering Spain while unvaccinated last month."
— Gaspar Ribeiro Lança (@gasparlanca) January 13, 2022
The court documents revealed Djokovic tested positive for COVID-19 on December 16.
Breaking news: COPE reports that the Spanish Government is now investigating whether unvaccinated Novak Djokovic entered the country ilegally in late December. — Gaspar Ribeiro Lança (@gasparlanca) January 12, 2022
The problem was that Djokovic was spotted at public events on December 17 and 18. “I want to address the continuing misinformation about my activities and attendance at events in December in the lead up to my positive PCR COVID test result," Djokovic said in a statement on Wednesday.
"This is misinformation which needs to be corrected, particularly in the interest of alleviating broader concern in the community about my presence in Australia, and to address matters which are very hurtful and concerning to my family."
Djokovic admitted he attended an event while positive
“I want to emphasise that I have tried very hard to ensure the safety of everyone and my compliance with testing obligations. I attended a basketball game in Belgrade on 14 December after which it was reported that a number of people tested positive with COVID 19.
Despite having no COVID symptoms, I took a rapid antigen test on 16 December which was negative, and out of an abundance of caution, also took an official and approved PCR test on that same day," Djokovic added. "The next day I attended a tennis event in Belgrade to present awards to children and took a rapid antigen test before going to the event, and it was negative.
I was asymptomatic and felt good, and I had not received the notification of a positive PCR test result until after that event. "I felt obliged to go ahead and conduct the L’Equipe interview as I didn’t want to let the journalist down, but did ensure I socially distanced and wore a mask except when my photograph was being taken.
"While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment”.