Australian Open tournament director and Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley doesn't plan to quit his function following the Novak Djokovic visa debacle. Some have been calling for Tiley to resign following the Djokovic drama but he says he is proud of what Tennis Australia has been able to do.
“We’ve put a statement out recently. I’m very focused today on delivering a great event. I’m proud of what the team has done. I’m proud of what we’ve delivered so far. We’ve had four days of unbelievable tennis and great entertainment, and we’ll continue to have that for the next ten days," Tiley told Channel 9.
“We’ve had a pretty challenging build-up. Being at the height of the Omicron variant has made for some pretty interesting times”.
Tiley, TA regret the impact the Djokovic drama had on players
"As the Australian tennis family, we recognise that recent events have been a significant distraction for everyone, and we deeply regret the impact this had on all players," Tennis Australia said in a statement.
"There are always lessons to learn, and we will review all aspects of our preparation and implementation to inform our planning -- as we do every year. That process always starts once the Australian Open champions have lifted their trophies."
Djokovic was deported after losing his Australia visa appeal on Sunday. “I would like to make a brief statement to address the outcome's of today's Court hearing, I will now be taking some time to rest and recuperate, before making any further comments beyond this," Djokovic said in a statement.
"I'm extremely disappointed with the Court ruling to discuss my application for judicial review of the Minister's decision to cancel my visa, which means I cannot stay in Australia and participate in the Australian Open.
"I respect the Court's ruling and I will cooperate with the relevant authorities in relation to my departure from the country.