Austrian tennis star Dominic Thiem explained that the Wimbledon decision is not benefiting anyone but acknowledged that it is extremely painful for players like Novak Djokovic and Matteo Berrettini. The ATP warned Wimbledon to expect sanctions following their decision to impose player bans on Russian and Belarusian players.
Last Friday, the ATP confirmed what had been speculated for weeks - there won't be ranking points at 2022 Wimbledon. That means that defending Wimbledon champion is set to lose 2,000 points, while 2021 Wimbledon runner-up Berrettini is also set to lose a large chunk of points.
"About Wimbledon, I think it's a tough decision for everybody, for some players can be very already is probably very painful, Berrettini or Novak or Fucsovics, for example, but we always have to keep in mind I think the big picture that Wimbledon or all our tennis world, it's just really no problem at all, the real problem is there in Ukraine and let's hope that there is peace very soon again," Thiem said, per Sportskeeda.
Thiem 0-7 since returning
On Sunday, Thiem suffered another disappointing loss and concluded his clay season with a 0-7 record. Thiem had a favorable first round draw at the French Open but he didn't stand a chance versus Hugo Dellien.
After a 6-3 6-2 6-4 loss to Dellien, Thiem admitted everything was fine with his health, he just played bad. "No, zero physical issues. I also have no mental problems with the forehand, I'm not scared or anything, but the problem is that, as I said, in practice was really decent already the forehand but then match situation is something different, Grand Slam especially, I'm obviously a little bit more tight, more nervous and obviously the whole body gets more tight, gets more nervous and right now that's toxic to my forehand because I'm still missing the fine feeling there, I'm missing it a lot," Thiem said. Thiem indicated he might play on the Challenger Tour in the next few weeks.